Direction: David McVicar
Stage: Charles Edwards
Light: Paul Keogan
Costumes: Gabrielle Dalton
Premiere: 4. 12. 2016
Following the failure Un giorno di regno, Verdi’s early attempt at operatic comedy, the composer vowed to steer clear of this genre for the rest of his life. And so he did, until, that is, at the end of his long career he wrote his last work of musical theatre: a Falstaff that was also his final attempt at musical comedy. And what a comedy it was! Not since Donizetti’s Don Pasquale 50 years earlier had there been a significant humorous Italian opera: Verdi was therefore virtually breaking new ground, enabling him to reinvent the musical comedy in the process. The result is an opera which describes Falstaff ’s amorous adventures with ambiguous humour and supreme virtuosity, finally arriving at a brilliant conclusion with the final fugue: Tutto nel mondo . burla – all the world is a joke!
Tickets can be ordered immediatly on the Internet: www.wiener-staatsoper.at
Advance ticket sales start two month before the performance date (e.g. on 1st September for 1st November, on 30th September for 30th November. Tickets for performances between 1st and 30th September will be sold from 1st to 30th May and for 1st to 31st October from 1st to 30th June)
- via Internet: www.staatsoper.at, www.culturall.com
- for credit card holders: Tel: +43 1 513 1 513, Mon. to Sun. 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- box office sales: Bundestheater ticket office (1., Operngasse 2), Burgtheater (1., Universitätsring 2), Volksoper (9., Währinger Strasse 78): Mon. to Fri. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sat., Sun. and holidays: 9 a.m. to 12 noon
Standing room tickets are sold starting 80 minutes before curtain time at the standing room box office (entrance Operngasse) only.
- Sun. 04 Dec 2016, 6:30 p.m.
- Wed. 07 Dec 2016, 7:30 p.m.
- Fri. 09 Dec 2016, 7:30 p.m.
- Mon. 12 Dec 2016, 7:30 p.m.
- Thu. 15 Dec 2016, 7:30 p.m.